For this activity, you’ll need:
a darkened room, candles, and a lighter.
Have everyone sit in a circle, and then give each person a candle.
• Do you like the dark? Why or why not?
• Have you ever been afraid of the dark? Explain.
• Imagine if the whole world was filled with darkness. What would our lives be like?
• What if our hearts were filled with darkness? How would that change us?
• How does light affect our lives?
• When we think of light in our hearts, what does that mean?
Read aloud John 8:12. Say: With the birth of Jesus, the world knew a different kind of light.
• How is Jesus the light in our lives? in our hearts?
• What difference does Jesus make in our world?
Say: Look around you. It’s dark in this room. Let’s see what happens when we share Jesus’ love with others. When it’s your turn to light your neighbor’s candle, say something you like or appreciate about that person.
Light your candle and say something about the person sitting next to you as you light his or her candle.
Say: Look around. There’s a lot more light in this room now, isn’t there?
• How does Jesus’ love and light change the world?
• How can we spread more of God’s love?
Close in a prayer of thanks for Jesus’ light. As an “amen,” have everyone blow out their candles at the same time.