Pacific Book Club – Fall 2018
Mondays: October 1, 29, November 26 Time: 7:00-8:30 at PCI
Read each of the following pages in preparation for each of the dates, below:
You can order the book “When God’s Ways Make No Sense”
by Larry Crabb at www.christianbook.com
Part 1: When God’s Ways Make No Sense, What then? Three Stories, Three Answers
- Chapter 1: A Christian’s Response to an Incomprehensible God: Three Options
- Chapter 2: Resist and Run (When Doing Wrong Feels Right): The Story of Jonah
- Chapter 3: Distort and Deny (The Counterfeit Gospel): Then and Now: The Story of Saul
- Chapter 4: Tremble and Trust (The Response of a Discerning Soul): The Story of Habakkuk
Part 2: When God’s Ways Make No Sense, Tremble! Why? What? How?
- Chapter 5: Why Must We Tremble in Order to Trust?
- Chapter 6: Trembling: The Gateway to Trust
- Chapter 7: A Hands-Off God?
- Chapter 8: Hands-Off but Present (And Still in Control)?
- Chapter 9: Counterfeit Christianity for Christians: Claiming a Promise God Never Made
- Chapter 10: A Long Journey Toward an Elusive Goal
Part 3: When God’s Ways Make No Sense: Trust in God’s Unthwarted Sovereignty
- Chapter 11: The High Calling to Trust: Is it Too High?
- Chapter 12: In God We Trust: For the Good He Gives or the Good We Want?
- Chapter 13: The Consolable Longing: God’s Provision for the Good Life That Every Christian Most Wants
- Chapter 14: Would We Prefer to Trust a Heavenly Grandfather? (Is that What We’re Doing?)
- Chapter 15: Enjoying Our Sovereign God: “The Whole of History Is Nothing More Than the Story of God’s Activity”
- Chapter 16: What Does It Mean to Say God Is Sovereign? Three Views (What View Best Frees Us to Enjoy Our Sovereign God?)
Part 4: When God’s Ways Make No Sense: Three Parables
- Chapter 17: A Modern-Day Jonah: “I Know Better”
- Chapter 18: A Modern-Day Saul: “I Can Make it Better”
- Chapter 19: A Modern-Day Habakkuk: “There’s Nothing Better”
- Final Comments: Unsettled Trust